Animation was finally catching up, so I got to start rendering... After a lot of issues, we finally got it to work!
These are previews of shot 2 till 10... The background is a still images, as we use a fixed camera. The characters were rendered with shadows and AO, to be composited onto the still image backround.
I used maya 2009's passes system, it gave me both a lot of trouble and a lot of control and freedom. I used beauty/diffuse/indirect/specular and ambient occlusion passes to create this final look. A lot of post-work was done as well, using solids and textures with blendmodes.
We still have a few moths left now, finishing everything up...
This is our final look, hope you like!